In order to connect with God that means you have every opportunity to grow in your faith when you do so. When I connect with God I connect in many different ways. I’ll be honest, reading the bible is hard. It takes a lot of discipline. One thing’s for sure, there’s many other ways to connect with God besides just reading His word.
“For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.”Hebrews 4:12 NIV
Studying His word
- Start somewhere. When do you read? Is there a consistent time in your day to read the word of God? You will do what’s important to you. Make it consistent so you are more likely to read the word.
- Find a space. Where will you read? Find a place in your house or elsewhere where you can connect with God. Maybe start with the new testament.
- His word. How will you read the bible? Do you have a bible? Are you reading the YouVersion Bible App? Maybe you are looking up scripture on your phone. Whatever it is for you, find it.
- Start with prayer. Ask God to open your eyes, unite your heart to His and to hear his word. Ask God to connect you with him.
- Develop your reading. Read through it a few times and look for content. Think through it, highlight what stands out and observe what you’re reading. Don’t cut corners, you need to take time to see what God is wanting you to read. You observe everything!! Then look into interpreting the context of the scripture.
- Application. So what? How does God’s word apply in your life? You do what it says with the holy spirit in us. All scripture is helpful in your life. List out the number of application in your life. List them out and ask yourself some questions- Is there an example to follow? Is there a promise or prayer? Is there a condition to be met? Or a verse to be memorized? What is the Lord pressing on you?
It’s not about how much word you get in. It’s how much the word gets in YOU!!
This is a great place to start if you are new to connecting with God. For me personally, this is where I started when I was a little girl. I remember singing the song, “Here I am to Worship” outside while my dad was washing the cars. It was at that moment I knew worship music was a way I could connect with the Lord. Today, this is my favorite way to connect and feel the holy spirit, especially when I sing worship music to Corbin.
Y’all can follow my worship playlist on Spotify! It has over 90 songs.
This way of connecting with God might be one of my favorites. I find that when I move I can feel the holy spirit through me. Let me just clarify, I’m not one to wave my hands in worship at church or get super into it. What I mean by connecting with God through movement is exercise! Going on runs, walking the neighborhood, swimming, or just any mindless for of exercise I find ways to connect with the Lord. Keep in mind I can’t have banging music and pray, but listening to music and movement together is a great way to connect with the Lord.
Sitting in a quiet room alone is an obvious way to connect with God. What would that look like? For me I’m too all over the place to sit on a chair and just be, so a bubble bath is great place for me to be with the Lord. I love having some quiet music playing or even reading the bible on my bible app. Sometimes it helps to have some hot tea while reading the bible. Mindless movements like that are a great way for me to be fidgety without getting distracted.
I hope these are helpful ways to connect with the Lord. I find that these ideas are what works for me. During stressful and uncertain times, I find myself closer to the Lord than ever. I lean on him through struggle. That’s how I can cope through it. If you are struggling I encourage you to set alone time for yourself and start with worship music or even the smallest thing like pinteresting bible verses.
Comment below how I can pray for you!
Love from Texas,