1. How I felt
While I didn’t have morning sickness throughout my first trimester or my second trimester, the fatigue was the biggest beating for me. Thank goodness for the second trimester because it got so much better. This is typically called the “honeymoon phase” of pregnancy. I slept great, my symptoms were manageable and I had a really steady stream of energy.
My cravings definitely picked up my second trimester and my sweet tooth started. I was able to exercise more and consistently my second trimester because I wasn’t constantly tired or needing to always be resting. I felt the baby move at 19 weeks. If I wasn’t sitting still or super intentional on my body I would have never know. Having so many mom friends, they told me it felt like butterflies. I remember sitting on my computer looking for “pregnant movies” (I know so weird) and right then I felt the baby flutter. It was the coolest feeling. I’m not going to lie, I sat there and was thinking if it really was the baby and it had to be! Sure enough, it was.
2. Favorite Products
- diaper bag-
- I started to stock up on comfortable dresses with stretchy material. Maternity clothes can be so expensive and so I wanted to not go crazy and just blow a budget on them. I found that Motherhood or Pink Blush had some affordable pieces that are great for the growing up. I also LOVED the maternity SPANX leggings from Nordstrom. Since it’s been cooler weather, I’ve been living in leggings. Another tip is to find pieces with ruched sides so that it will stretch as your bump grows.
- My second trimester I started to add more products to my bump to help it stretch and my skin not itch. I used coconut oil lotion from Trader Joes with added lavender oil and geranium oil mixed together, oil from Motherhood Maternity and stretch mark cream. I know I’ve been using a lot, but I just don’t know what will work for my body. So mind as well use it all.
- I got a pillow to help me sleep on my side. They say side sleeping is best for blood flow to baby, so if it’s difficult for you a pillow can definitely help!
3. What I did
- We found out we were having a boy at the beginning of the second trimester, so I started to plan for his nursery! If you’re ordering furniture online, start to think of what you want based on boy or girl so you can order when you find out you are pregnant. Because like all furniture deliveries, things get delayed and there’s a chance it will slow the process down.
- When we found out, my dad came to help Colin paint the nursery room. If it was a boy we were going to do a blue grey color and if it’s a girl we were going to do light pink. For the nursery, I considered doing an accent wall, but I wanted his room to be timeless.
- I started to track my bump with weekly iPhone pictures. I loved always changing the Felt Board sign each week. It made it special for me to see the progress of the baby bump! I know other people just doing a simple mirror selfie too!
- I started our baby registry. We registered through Baby List, which I loved! You can essentially register for anything from any store and not have to go out in public to do it. I followed guides from online, but really just catered it to what we used most. I have my registry HERE!
- We signed up for our birthing class, baby basics class, hospital tour, infant car seat safety check, baby safety/CPR class and Colin did a Daddy Baby Basic class on his own! We went ahead and signed up for these early because I wanted to be proactive. A lot of the couples were in their third trimester tho.
- We had our anatomy ultrasound which was my favorite doctor’s appointment throughout the pregnancy. But, really any check up where I can see our baby is amazing!! We got to see him a lot on the ultrasound and I could finally make out his darling little body. It was also incredible seeing his heart pumping and his organs functioning on screen. One of those moments I was just so overwhelmed by our detailed our God is!
- Baby names- oh boy! Well to start, I’ve had a list going since I was a little girl. I’m obsessed with baby names. I will say, none of my names on the list were the ones I have planned for our baby. Funny how that works! I was convinced that the name we picked would be for boy number 2, but there’s no guessing. I’m so happy we went with what we loved!! I will say I had more opinions on a name than Colin.
- I made my first maternity purchase! It was so much fun to take that day and go shopping with Colin at a maternity store. Of course he had something to say about it. I got maternity jeans and these were my favorites.
- We made a to-do list of projects we wanted to finish around the house and baby-proofing hacks we needed to do.
- We ordered our breast pump. You may want to check with your insurance company, as sometimes they will provide one for you.
- I researched pediatricians, found the one I liked best, we have an interview with him and will ask him all sorts of questions. The bump gives great advice for questioning the ped doctor.
- I’ve had people suggest books, but I’m not a big reader. I went with autobooks so I can listen to them while I drive. That was the best option for me.
- We are planning to take a “staycation” babymoon in December, so technically that will be in my third trimester. We are planning to do Christmas just the two of us because that would be the last Christmas alone. It’s important to find that time together before baby comes.
- I started to get our pup Gracie Jo used to baby sounds. I’d play Youtube videos of a baby crying to see how she would react. I’m sure there’s a million other ways to get a dog ready for baby. This is just where we are at with it.
4. Mistakes I made
- I wish I did more prenatal yoga because I got in several ruts with the whole workout thing. I also wish I worked out more in my first trimester and pushed through the tired feeling. For goodness sakes I was off during that time anyways. I knew I needed to listen to my body. So long story short, yoga… I wish I did more!
- This isn’t really baby related, but do not set expectations for people, including family. You expect them to rise to the occasion, but they don’t. That’s my personal experience and I’ll leave it at that.
- I cried a lot this trimester, nothing negative just so hormonal/ emotions. Not really in my control, but I wish I took more baths.
Hope this helps those who haven’t finished their second trimester yet. I’m in my third trimester now and I can not believe how fast it’s flown by!!
Love from Texas,